Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Speaking of Deficit spending

Microsoft has announced that they will discontinue support for the software called "Money."  This loss of support has been coupled with the reduction of the functionality of the software. This included my Money software informing me that the software was expired, and I could no longer use it unless I renewed my subscription.  I have used this software to keep track of my checkbooks for the last 8 and a half years, and these changes have forced me to transition to Quicken. Needless to say, this is causing a few issues.

One issue became apparent last month, when I found out that reconciling the software with my bank statement is not as seamless with Quicken as it was with Money. Another problem became apparent this morning, when I went to close out September by reconciling Quicken with my September bank statement. Apparently, Quicken failed to download a transaction earlier in the month, and this caused me to overdraw my checking account. Since I pay all of my bills at the beginning of the month, my checking account was overdrawn by $75.

Luckily, I have my savings account linked to my checking, and the bank thoughtfully transferred the funds to cover the overdrafts. For a fee.

No comments: