Wednesday, July 22, 2020

About this blog

I occasionally hear from people who don't understand why I named this blog "Confessions of a Street Pharmacist." After all, a "street pharmacist" is slang for a drug dealer.

The roots of this name go back to my military days. Some friends and I were doing our taxes, and we got to the line where you have to list your occupation. We all put down "paid professional killer" on the line, and mailed it in. The group of us got a big laugh, picturing the data entry clerk down at the IRS trying to figure out why there were so many people making a living as killers. 

Flash forward to years later, and I was sitting in the station house while listening to my partner complain that so many of the people who call 911 are just trying to figure out how to get EMS crews to inject them with their drug of choice- we called them "drug seekers," and some of them have gotten pretty good at it. 

That same year, when I did my taxes, I listed my occupation as "street pharmacist." It wasn't a big leap to name my blog after that bit of humor. 

2 comments:

Dean said...

I think you meant "occupation" rather than "application" in the second sentence. Or not.

Divemedic said...

Oops. Autocorrect. I will fix