Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Economy

The economy drags on in its doldrums. I retired two years ago, so that I could attend grad school. After a few months of not being educated, I decided that I had had enough, and I would simply get another job. That was a year and a half ago, and aside from short term, part time jobs, there is nothing out there.

One of the local theme parks won't hire part time medics unless they are already working full time somewhere else. The manager that I spoke with, a friend of mine, tells me that this is because of Obamacare. See, if you already have a full time job with health insurance, they won't have to worry about providing you with any.
I made it all the way to a job offer with another theme park in the area, but then the Union complained about hiring more paramedics to work in the park stating that there were part time medics that should be getting more hours. The offer was withdrawn as a result.
This leaves few options for a person of my age. My pension means that I cannot work for a fire department, or that pension will be suspended until I again retire. Even so, few fire departments want to hire a man in his late 40's. I could do interfacility, but they aren't hiring.
So, I pick up odd jobs, and count myself lucky to have a pension that pays the bills and a house with no payments.
Thanks Obamacare

No comments: