Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Aftermath of a shooting, part two

 This is part two of yesterday's post.

Just after midnight, two cars full of people pulled down my dead end street. The car closest to me had 4 teenagers inside. It was later determined that this car contained one female and three males. They were all known gang members with lengthy arrest records for various offenses, including drug offenses and weapons charges. One of them had been arrested 22 times before his 17th birthday.

I didn't know any of this. All I knew was that a car load of people who had threatened violence was 10 feet from me, and the front seat passenger had what appeared to be a long gun in his hand. (It turned out to be an SKS- at the time, one could be bought for $95) I ran to the car and stuck my shotgun into the window of the car. I said something along the lines of "If anyone moves, I will kill you."

It was at that moment that I heard a gun shot. I looked up in time to see the other car peeling away, and my neighbor lying on the ground. The car closest to me sped away. As they drove away, another neighbor (who HAD been drinking) ran out of his house and fired a shotgun at the car. (It was a 12 ga Mossberg 500 with a 3" magnum barrel, found at the scene by the police) I dragged my downed neighbor into my house to find my sobbing wife on the floor of the kitchen, talking to the police.

It turns out that my neighbor dove when he saw a handgun, and was not hit when the shot was fired.

They arrived less than 5 minutes later, but it seemed much longer. We told them our story. While we were doing so, the car came back. This time, the teens were all unarmed, and claimed that they were sitting at the light when I shot at them for no reason. They showed a pattern of holes in the driver's side door of their car.

I pointed out that the pellet count in their car was too high for my 2 3/4" shotgun, and that the incident could not have happened they way they said, because the bullet holes were on the wrong side of the car. The cops told me not to tell them how to do their job. I was photographed, and my guns taken. An SKS was found in the trunk of the teens' car, which the cops also took.

Three days later, I got a call from a detective with the VA Beach police. He said that he had a warrant for my arrest, and that if I came in that afternoon, he would get me released on my own recognizance. He said if he had to look for me, the bond would be high, considering the charges. I was stunned. I drove to the police station, where I was arrested for brandishing a firearm, discharging a firearm within city limits, discharging a firearm into an occupied vehicle, and aggravated battery.

I went to see the attorney that helped me get my CWL (he had been recommended by the NRA) and we went to the prosecutor's office and filed charges ourselves against the teens for aggravated battery (the cops refused to- they said that they had not seen them brandishing a weapon, and also stated that a bat is not a deadly weapon).

part three is here


Robert Hewes said...

Wow, that's seriously fucked up. Looking forward to part 3.

Anonymous said...

Been waiting for this installment all day. Can't wait to get home tomorrow to read Act III.