Saturday, August 14, 2010

What I believe

or alternatively, why I do not fit into any political party:

I don't fit int with the Democrats because:

I think that the money I earn is mine, and I don't think that I should be forced to give up my income in order to have it redistributed to someone who made poor decisions and bought three houses and didn't have a job.

I don't think the government should have the power to favor one race over another in order to compensate for wrongs that occurred before I was even born, or for any other reason.

I don't think that we should give away money to people, poor or not. Stopping the gravy train will correct many problems from illegal immigration to welfare queens.

I don't think regulating guns will prevent crime, any more than I think regulating Wall Street will prevent greed.

I don't think that the government should regulate what I put into my body- that includes drugs as well as unhealthy foods, or alcohol.

The Republicans don't want me because:

I think that the money I earn is mine, and I don't think that I  should be forced to give up some of my income to support a business that made poor decisions and considers themselves "too big to fail." 

I don't think that my tax dollars should be used to "nation build" or to fund our military to enforce our values on other people. Freedom must be earned by those who wish to be free, freedom cannot be imposed upon others.

I don't think the government should have anything to do with marriage. That means if I want to marry someone of the same sex, or if I want to marry 3 women, it is not anyone's business but my own.

The Libertarians disagree with me because:

I think that we need some sort of government, because there are some things that the market cannot do. Police, fire, roads, sanitation, and some other basic services need to function as a part of society. That government should be as limited and local as possible. The wider the area, the more limited that power should be.

Economic force is still force. A monopoly on food, or water, or any other material is just as bad as a monopoly on force, and can still be used to control others. If I own a significantly large fraction of a resource, I can control others by refusing to sell that resource to people who refuse to submit to my will. 

All in all, I think that I am closer to libertarianism than the others, but I cannot be as close to the anarchist wing of the libertarian party as many are. The proper role of government is to prevent one group from using force (including economic force) to force others to act against their will.

No comments: