Monday, March 23, 2020

We don't know much about the Wuhan virus

For weeks, we have been told that the symptoms of Wuhan virus infection are fever, cough, and shortness of breath. In fact, for weeks you weren't even tested for the virus unless you presented with those symptoms AND had recently traveled overseas or had contact with another person who was a known positive.

A couple of days ago, a friend of mine who lives in Miami claims to have had a mild case of Wuhan that had been confirmed by lab testing, but states his only symptoms were fatigue and loss of taste and smell. I am going to be honest here, I thought he was full of crap.

Then this article come across my feed.
In South Korea, China, and Italy, about a third of patients who have tested positive for COVID-19 have also reported a loss of smell 
The prevention of the spread of this virus is an order of magnitude more difficult than even the most pessimistic among us dreamed it was. Preventing the spread of this is now, in my opinion, impossible. Perhaps it was never possible. We are destroying our nation's, and even the world's, economy for a fool's errand.




2 comments:

Therefore said...

In my opinion everything we are doing to date had nothing to do with stopping the virus. It had everything to do with getting the hospitals and medical community up to speed to handle the bad cases of covid19.

There are some down sides, such as the lack of masks for medical staff. But we are seeing manufacturing stepping up and goods are flowing of the assembly lines at high rates.

I am resigned to getting this and I am in the high risk group. Fat and old. But I'm going to delay that occurrence as long as I can.

TCK said...

Personally, I really, really hope that the international community gets off their asses and holds China accountable for covering up their frakenvirus outbreak juuuuuuust long enough to make sure everyone else gets hit too.