Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Rip off update

I blogged recently about my in-laws being sold a vehicle while the dealer deliberately hid the fact that it was a demo. In an attempt to resolve the issue, my in-laws returned to the dealer the following morning and were offered a different, comparable vehicle at a slight (less than $500) reduction in price.

They took the deal and drove the vehicle home. After arriving home, they discovered that the paperwork has the wrong VIN on it. I pointed out that they need to get this fixed ASAP, because if they get pulled over, the VIN not matching the registration could cause them issues, especially if the dealer notices that the vehicle they have is still showing as being in inventory but is no longer on the lot and decides to report it stolen. At the very least, they are in possession of an unregistered and uninsured vehicle. My mother in law told me that this was "far-fetched" and I was being ridiculous. She said that they had the paperwork to show they recently bought the car, and just because the VIN was incorrect made it a simple paperwork issue and this was not a big deal.

At this point, I am backing out of helping them.

3 comments:

SiGraybeard said...

Oooh... "simple paperwork error". That'll go real well.

Tell them about that John Carpenter in St.Cloud who got red flagged because some other guy named John Carpenter had a domestic abuse charge.

Miguel GFZ said...

You have done your duty trying to help. You have no duty to help them crash and burn.

It is good manners to eventually say "I told you so."

Beans said...

Can't fix stupid. Can't make a horse drink. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Some people, when they ask for your help, are just looking for someone to blame when things go wrong, or looking for an argument, or both.

As to the car, unmatched VIN numbers? Oh, boy... don't get caught driving on any of the major drug corridors with unmatched VIN #s.

When I bought my last ride, I made sure that the dealership was a reliable, truthful (well, for values of truth involved in car dealerships, and to tell the truth, the place was/is/will be top rated for dealing straight) place. First qualification is they wouldn't hire my brother-in-law. Seriously, any place that would hire that snake is an instant no-bueno.

As Miguel said above, you did your duty. Run away, run away laughing as the world is about to fall down around their ears...