Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Shutdown woes at the IRS

The IRS is shutdown, and that is going to be a significant problem for me. The IRS made a major mistake with one of their tax forms. The problem is that there is a lawful deduction that I am eligible for because it is still in the tax code, but the IRS screwed up and didn't leave any way to legally file for that deduction. The IRS can't fix the mistake because of the shutdown. In fact, they can't even be notified of the mistake, because no one is there to answer the phone.

If I file my taxes without taking the deduction, it will cost me an extra $150K plus in taxes that I am not legally required to pay, an amount of money that I simply do not have.

Even if I DO take the deduction, I am going to owe the IRS more than $150,000. Don't tell me that the rich don't pay taxes.

1 comment:

Angus McThag said...

Damn.

Way to make me feel like a loser.

Because, well... Losers do.