Saturday, November 29, 2014

School behavior

Here is a video of a black student attacking a white one, all the while making racial comments. The school is a short distance from mine, and I actually know a few of the students that attend the school, including a student who appears in the background of this video.


As a first year high school teacher, I can tell you that I have seen this sort of thing myself. Last month, a black student called a white one an "ignorant cracker" and a "honky." The white student replied that the black student should "remember that it wasn't that long ago that I would have been your boss, and you would be picking my cotton."

The white student was suspended, the black one was not disciplined. After the incident, teachers were told by the vice principal that racism and racial comments would not be tolerated, and that those of us here in the south (VP is from up north) needed to learn that redneck, racist attitudes of the people in the south would have to change.

I am too new to have pointed out to him that his comments and the way the incident were handled were racism and discrimination at their finest.

No comments: