Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The other guy was supposed to pay for that

Some of the Gator's Dockside locations, a chain of restaurants in Florida, have announced that they will be passing the cost of the ACA (Obamacare) on to customers in the form of a surcharge added to every bill. The howls of indignation were immediate. Commenters on the article had things to say like this:

Did not know that was legal

Go ahead and put that on my bill. I would deduct that straight from any tip I was going to give.

I will never eat there again.

So what did you morons think was going to happen? You vote for giving government the power to force your employer to give you an added benefit at his expense. Did you think he was going to just chalk it up as a loss? He has to find a way to pay for this, just as anyone must. This leaves him with one of two choices: Cut costs by cutting hours or staff, or pass that cost on to the consumer.

At least Gator's is being transparent about it, instead of just raising prices without telling you why.

1 comment:

SiGraybeard said...

I must be too far removed from the restaurant biz, but I'd think they'd all end up raising prices and adding a surcharge is definitely going to stand out and bother some folks. I know it's a low margin industry, but if everyone is raising prices, well, everyone is raising prices. Customers will see it everywhere.

I guess it's a race to see who raises them last.