Sunday, August 18, 2013

Preparation = organization

A day of SCUBA diving: there are about a hundred things that have to get done: gear has to be checked for function, tanks filled, all the stuff packed, reservations made for the charter boat, a change of clothes for the return trip, and dozens of other details before the four hour trip to the boat.

I have found over the years that the best way to get this done is through the use of checklists. I have a checklist for everything from calculating the weight needed in a diver's weigh belt to making sure that all of the equipment makes it to the car. I began making preparations a week before we are scheduled to go on the trip.

Then there is the other school of thought: Sleep in until a half hour before hand, and then spend that thirty minutes frantically looking for stuff like sunscreen and dry bags to keep your clothes in, while getting mad at your dive buddy for pointing out that he has everything he needs, because he has a check list.

Of course, we leave half an hour late and I am sure something has been forgotten.

1 comment:

SiGraybeard said...

Even though my little boat is in the garage and I can keep all the essentials on it, I still keep a check list with it so I don't get out fishing and find myself without sunscreen (BTDT - I really have no desire for another sunburn). So, yeah, checklists are essential.

I used to have a tank and a cert card (YMCA class in Miami, 40+ years ago). Haven't been diving in ages.