Wednesday, May 11, 2011

An open letter to Florida Republican legislators

I just sent this email to the Republican Party of Florida:

I am writing this to express my dismay at the actions of Republican party members with regards to Senate Bill 234, the bill that would have allowed people with concealed weapons permits to carry their weapons openly and on college campuses throughout the state.

As a 42 year old college student who has a concealed weapons permit, I cannot understand how it is that I can be trusted to defend myself wherever I go, until I cross the line to enter campus. It was my understanding that the Republicans were defenders of the Second amendment, but the gutless stripping of this bill by Republican legislators has shown me that this was merely lip service, simply a way to fool me into giving my vote to the moderate wing of the Democratic Party, which it seems that the Republican party has become.

As of today, I am no longer a registered Republican. My campaign contributions and my votes will be going elsewhere.

1 comment:

Lawyer said...

About two years ago, I woke up. Now, I recognize that labels such as Republican or Democrat are just stickers to place on different sized bags of hot air.

Although I am a registered Republican, I do not vote a straight ticket. Every politician has to earn my vote, regardless of party.

One more note: I have relatives in Florida. This was a disappointing vote, and I hope it serves to get them involved.