Saturday, January 8, 2011

Gun store and SB234

I went to the shooting range yesterday. While I was there, I had a discussion with the clerk about SB234. For those of you who are unaware, SB234 changes Florida's laws concerning firearms and weapons in the following way: (full text of the bill here)

1. People with a license to carry a concealed weapon will be exempt from Florida's prohibition against the open carrying of weapons. In essence, a Concealed Weapons permit will become a Weapons Permit.
2. Colleges and Universities are no longer off limits to Permit Holders  (Removed by an amendment to the bill)
3. 790.28, the statute allowing the purchase of Rifles and Shotguns in contiguous states requires that such purchases comply with Federal law and the laws of both the state of Florida and the state where the sale takes place. SB 234 would remove the requirement for such a sale to comply with Florida law, as long as the purchaser is subject to a NICS check.

When I mentioned this to the staff at Reig's Guns, the clerk responded by saying that this was a scary proposition, that College students would have the legal ability to bring guns to school. I pointed out that I am a college student, and asked why I should have the ability to defend myself with a firearm everywhere I go, except college. Does crossing an imaginary line to enter College campus make me immune from attack, or is it that I somehow become less trustworthy?

I patronize Reig's, because they are more firearm friendly than the Oak Ridge Gun Range, which prohibits customers with loaded weapons, even customers who are carrying concealed with a permit. I used to spend a large amount of money in the Oak Ridge store, until they discovered that I was carrying a weapon and berated me for it. Reig's Gun Shop has a sign that says, "No loaded weapons allowed inside, except for concealed weapons. Remember that concealed means concealed."

Seriously, you work at a gun store. How can you be so obtuse when it comes to guns and gun rights? Are there any gun stores that respect your rights? How can a gun store support gun owners, and talk about how gun owners are a trusty bunch, and then turn around and hypocritically ban them in their store?

4 comments:

Jeff Morelock said...

Its funny really. A lot of gun shop and shooting range employees seem to think they are the end-all be-all of everything guns as soon as they get employed.

Most (not all) are either wanna be cops that can't or has-beens from the Po-Dunk Police Department. Some can't even shoot well enough to get a concealed weapons permit.

NotClauswitz said...

I like your laws and wish we had them here - but my take about the gun-store personnel is they're a bit afraid of potential losses and while most are, not all of their customers are on the up-and-up, and they fear (oh the irony) being robbed at gun-point. After all, like the bank robber said when asked why he did it, "Because that's where the money is."
I've seen customers come into a gun-shop (where I was a fellow patron) and start asking weird questions, people that I would just as soon ask to leave whether they were undercover for the BATFE trying to exploit a weakness or just weirdos...

Divemedic said...

Dirt: I understand, but don't you think that it makes it a bit harder for gun owners to claim that gun owners in general, and concealed weapons permitees specifically are trustworthy, but then have gun stores say, "Except in MY store"?

After all, if a gun store with its armed employees and customers doesn't feel safe from evil gun owners and won't allow carry, why should Jennifer's Bridal, McDonald's, or WalMart?

TOTWTYTR said...

I've never heard of such silliness. The closest to that I've run in to is a bar on having loaded weapons at gun shows. I don't know if that's policy of the promoters or law, but it's very common.

I don't know that I'd patronize a gun store that had employees with that sort of attitude.

I'm not a huge advocate of open carry, but I think that concealed carry should be allowed everywhere.