Saturday, July 18, 2020

Difference of opinion

My son came to see me today. We had lunch before he had to be at work. I have to give you a bit of background:
On July 6, he returned from working in New York . His fiance and her family are hard core liberals. As far as guns go, they are classic Fudds, in that they only support gun rights as they pertain to hunting, not self defense or any other reasons. Sometimes those opinions bleed through to my son's outlook.

Just before my son got home (June 26), his fiance tested COVID positive after being exposed while out at a bar for drinks with some of her friends. Her two week isolation period would have ended on July 10. Since he arrived home on July 6, he was actively in the house with a person who was COVID positive.

His contract with the NY staffing company required him to isolate for a week (until July 13) after returning. They even paid him for that week as if he were working. Instead of isolating, he returned to work on July 11 by picking up a shift for a nurse who had called out sick. In  fact, he has picked up 4 different shifts during his "quarantine period." This means that, even though his fiance was through with HER isolation period, he would have had to isolate until July 20 because he was exposed to her.

He came over and almost immediately began to criticize me because I am not wearing a mask when I go out. That then began a heated discussion about how businesses and the public need to listen to the experts. I pointed out that the experts have been changing their advice every few weeks, have been falsifying COVID test results, and listing motorcycle accidents as COVID related.

He responded by pointing out a few things that I thought were ridiculous. A few of the high points:

The people at the CDC are not experts, they are politicians. When I asked him who the experts are, he replied that HE and the doctors he had been working with in NYC were the experts, and actually said that he was now good enough that he could tell if someone were COVID positive by simply looking at them, and didn't NEED a test.

 He also said that the tests were inaccurate, and 40% of negatives were actually false negatives, therefore he was more accurate than the COVID tests.

He said that everyone should be required by law to wear a mask as soon as they step out their front door. In fact, he went so far as to say that there should be a law that the public is required to obey the orders of physicians.

Also, businesses should all be closed so we can flatten out the curve and stop hospital overcrowding. He declared that all of the hospitals in Florida are currently at least at 115% of capacity. I asked him why, if they were all so full, were they still accepting elective surgeries, and why he and his fiance were still laid off. He replied "Because the people running the hospital are all cheap and greedy."

I then asked him, if the rest of us have to stay home, why he was permitted to go to work after having a person living in his house testing positive. He replied "My boss knows. He doesn't care." I told him that this was hard to believe. How can a hospital not care that one of their staff is in a household were one of their other staff members is supposed to be isolated because they are COVID positive? And if that hospital in fact doesn't care, then why should I be prohibited from going where I please, when neither my wife nor I have been positive?

This went on for over 20 minutes. My wife managed to eventually change the subject, which was good, because things were getting overheated. My son went to NYC for 3 months and came back as an arrogant, hypocritical ass.

I hope that effect will wear off soon.

4 comments:

Jess said...

If the truth was known, the truth would reveal Covid is something that's been around for a long time, nobody was really concerned in the past, and the politics involved with the isolation only are focused on keeping the bureaucracy intact. The illness hasn't harmed nearly as many as the jackboot efforts to supposedly stop a pandemic.

Vitaeus said...

Be glad you have your son to argue with. I am really working to find the positives in life after spending the last couple years as an angry, bitter, person. Grace is a gift you give those around you and hopefully they return the gift.

TCK said...

Figures that NYFC is so terrible that it's shittiness is straight-up contagious.

Weetabix said...

Wow. I'm really sorry to hear about this. I hope his attitude wears off.