Friday, May 15, 2020

Stressful week, so new gun

We had been having problems with devices dropping out of the network, so on Monday I updated us to a mesh network. There are now three repeaters around the house. It initially was pretty easy, but there were a few stubborn devices that would not make the switch. I finally got the last device to switch over- on Friday morning.

On Tuesday, we had a house fire.

On Wednesday, the TV in the living room stopped working. The picture and sound would cut out for about 20 seconds and then come on for 10. Over and over. Troubleshooting showed that the HDMI cable was bad. The TV is on the wall, with all of the wiring inside the wall. It had to come down. This required a trip to Best Buy, who won't let you in the store- you have to order online and pick it up at the store, 30 minutes away. When we got there, they didn't have it. So that required a trip to WalMart. That in itself was an adventure.

On Thursday, the electrician came by and looked at the wiring job.

Today, the estimate for $1600 came in for the electrical job. Then the dishwasher broke. It seems to be a water sensor that looks for leaks and shuts the washer down if it detects one. The good news is that it is relatively new, and the warranty people will be here on Wednesday. Until then, we will be hand washing. I also need to drain the hot tub, since it won't have power for awhile.

I had enough. I went shopping for some more ammo and discovered that the ammo shelves are almost empty, despite a notice that there is a 1 box limit per person. 9mm FMJ is selling for $20 a box. Instead, I decided to buy a new Smith and Wesson  686 in .357 Magnum. They gave me a decent price, I think. I could have paid less from an online source, but by the time I paid transfer fees, the cost would have been the same. I blame the Dirty Harry movie I watched this weekend for my sudden desire to own a revolver.

4 comments:

jwl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jwl said...

Sweet wheelguns. Did you get a 6- or 7-round version?

Divemedic said...

Six shot. They also had the larger framed 8 shot version in the store, but it was $200 more, and I was also worried that I would have a hard time finding speed loaders and holsters for it.

I will probably go back for the .44 mag and maybe a 500. Depends on how much fun this one is to shoot.

jwl said...

May I suggest trying a rental on the .500 S&W before buying one? I didn't have that, but did have a .460, and the recoil is ... stout. The guy I sold it to, sold it to the next guy with two fewer rounds in the box.