Thursday, May 14, 2020

Cybersecurity

My employer is requiring me to take an online course in cybersecurity. The ironic parts of this are:
- The course only works in Internet Explorer, not Edge, Chrome, or any other browser. Microsoft stopped providing security updates to IE in 2016 and hasn't produced this browser since 2012.
- The website requires you to turn off pop up blockers and antivirus software to run.
- The site is not secure, because its certificate has expired.

When you try to play the video, a warning comes up that says the content being played is not secure. You have to hit "enable insecure content" in order to watch it. 

I complained to my boss, and was informed that if I want to work from home, I have to take the course online. Otherwise, I will be required to go in to take the course and will will have to work there from now on. 
I am sure this class will teach me a lot about internet security.

2 comments:

Clayton W. said...

Nothing like punishing the messenger, eh?

Mark J said...

I had to laugh when I read your post. Having worked in IT for nearly 20 years, I still shake my head in a combination of amazement and wonder on some of the contradictory information on information security that is out there.