Monday, May 14, 2012

Insurance

My homeowner's insurance cost $1,200 a year. My insurance on my two automobiles costs $1,500 per year. I have been with the same insurance company for 7 years, and I have never filed a claim. In that time, they have collected nearly $20,000 from me in profit, without a single dollar in losses.

I called them this morning, because I was registering a vehicle that I bought in Missouri. Since I was moving the title and registration from Missouri to Florida, I had to provide proof of insurance. That was when they gave me the bad news: For the last two weeks, I have had no insurance. Apparently, they did a routine check of my file, and discovered that my credit score had dropped since the last time they checked, and they say that makes me uninsurable. They didn't even bother to send me a letter or make a telephone call to tell me that I was not insured. If I had not called, the first hint that I would have had would have been if I got in an accident. They didn't even refund the premiums that I paid for the year in advance.

If it weren't for the government demanding that I carry car insurance, I wouldn't. I am not sure about other states, but the law in Florida is that a vehicle owner must have insurance that pays the owners and occupants of other vehicles in the event that an accident occurs that is the insured driver's fault. In other words, you insure everyone except yourself. To insure your own vehicle costs extra. Here in Florida, there are so many drivers ignoring the law and driving without insurance, coverage for uninsured motorists is important.

I say that the law should be rewritten, so that I insure me and mine, and if you don't want insurance, then don't get any. Your loss.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What exactly does your credit score have to do with insurance? That is utterly ridiculous. Insurance companies are getting totally out of hand with their practices. The place we just moved out of a month ago was broken into twice, filed police reports both times, adjustors came and looked at the damage and at first wouldn't pay the claim because we didn't have receipts for things we'd owned for years. They finally broke down and cut us a check for about half the value of our property and then promptly dropped our insurance.

Got 'em a pretty nice racket going on don't they?

Anonymous said...

You must have American Family. They doubled my premiums because my credit score was too low. I dropped them and tell everybody else to do the same.

Robert Hewes said...

You should definitely name the insurance carrier that robbed you of your pre-paid premiums. You should also file a complaint with the department of insurance.

Ted N said...

Be allowed to insure yourself first? That's not fair! How burgois of you! /s

Please name this D-bag of a company.

Oh yeah, and USAA, FTW.