Friday, March 2, 2012

Small scare

So I was sitting in my living room yesterday, quietly studying my books, when I heard the door handle begin to jiggle. I live alone, so there is no reason for anyone to be entering my apartment. I grab my M&P 40, and while I am doing so, I hear a key slide into the lock. While covering the door (finger not on the trigger, thank you) a dozen thoughts run through my mind at 100 miles an hour: Is it an apartment maintenance man coming to repair something? A home invader? What is my plan if the door opens? Should I try to hold the bad guy at gunpoint and risk letting him get the first shot? Or just shoot as soon as he enters the apartment? What if there are more than one of them? Is the wall I am behind good cover? Or just concealment? Why didn't I grab something heavier, like an AR or a shotgun?

The person on the other side of the door continues to jiggle the key in the lock, and jiggle the door handle. By this point, this has been going on for a good 30 seconds. I cautiously approach the door, and look out of the peephole, to see a youngish (maybe in her 20s) woman trying to open my door. She leaves. I still don't know what was up with that.

1 comment:

SiGraybeard said...

Someone lost and trying the wrong door? Perhaps a little impaired by a "substance" of some sort (alcohol or whatever) to add confusion?