Monday, April 6, 2020

Supply status

Way back on March 1, I had been hearing about this virus and it sounded like something we should be aware of, so we headed to Sam's club to fill the supply closets.

So what I decided to do is prepare my household for the possibility of widespread travel bans and quarantines. We went to the big box store today and upped our semi-perishable stores. I added 40 pounds of meat to the freezer, along with other supplies: toilet paper, canned vegetables, cleaning supplies, feminine hygiene products, and more. I now have on hand enough food for three weeks before I have to dip into the freeze dried foods. Other than that, I cannot think of anything I am missing or in need of. 
Since March 13, I have not gone to the store for anything. We have only left the house five times in the past three weeks, with the exception of my wife being required to work (that has come to a halt).

I thought we had three weeks' food. Turns out I was WAY off. One of my freezers is still 90% full, the other 75% full. We are out of fresh produce and have switched to canned and frozen, but other than that are in good shape. We are eating a varied diet, but since neither of us likes canned vegetables, I am finding ways to disguise it. For example, last night's dinner looked like this:


Shrimp creole
One chopped onion (fresh), one chopped green pepper (frozen), one 32 ounce can of tomato sauce, 1/2 pound frozen jumbo shrimp, 4 tablespoons butter, spices, one cup of rice.

We can probably do this for at least another month. I still have steak, hamburger, a turkey, chicken, sausage, a ham, fish, shrimp, oysters, scallops, bacon, pork chops, and more in my freezer. Over 100 pounds of meat. We may run out of vegetables, but we won't starve. After that, I have freeze drieds.

I may go out for vegetables. There is a farmer's market nearby. I may use a mask and chance it, but that decision is a couple of weeks away.


No comments: