Sunday, November 4, 2018

Voters not voting

From NYmag comes a story called "12 young people on why they probably won't vote." If you read the reasons, you see the "If the person I support doesn't win, I won't play" attitude. Here is Samantha from New Jersey:

I had my Clinton sweatshirt on all day... Watching the results come in, it was just disheartening. My faith in the whole system was crushed pretty quickly.
So the entire system is there to ensure that your favorite candidate wins, and if they don't, the system is obviously broken.

Most of the other 11 people say that voting is too hard, or that they don't have the time or energy to vote. I don't understand the lack of energy thing. The oldest of them is 29 years old. How can you not have energy in your 20s? I think that the lack of energy or ambition is the reason why so many of them support people like Sanders or Ocasio-Cortez. After all, if they are too lazy to vote, how motivated are the to actually earn a living and work for themselves? With that said, here is a quote from Anna in New York City:

 When I was at the post office to register, this poor girl, clearly also a college student like me, didn’t know what “postmarked” meant and had no idea how to send an important document by mail. Most people my age have zero need to go to the post office and may have never stepped into one before. Honestly, if someone had the forms printed for me and was willing to deal with the post office, I’d be much more inclined to vote.
Seriously, an entire generation that doesn't know how to mail a letter?

Personally, I am kid of happy the morons in this story don't want to vote. Read the whole thing. It is an interesting look into the youngest adults in the nation.

No comments: