Saturday, October 29, 2016

Crime spree

I put my surveillance cameras in place during the first week of August. It takes about 5 weeks for the DVR to run out of space and begin writing over the old recordings. My cameras can see quite a long way. I can view at least 10 houses and their yards from my house. In the past three months, I have seen the following:

-  My lawn pest guy was just putting the "pesticide" sign in the yard and leaving. I got a refund of $375 and I now do it myself.
- I caught the lawn mowers cutting my screen and damaging several sprinkler heads, as well as the low voltage lighting. They came out and fixed it.
- I caught one of my neighbors' pool guys using my garden hose to add makeup water to the neighbor's pool. They agreed to pay for the excess water. It turns out that I was billed for nearly 2,000 gallons of water over my normal usage.
- When my neighbor's house was burglarized, I happened to get the miscreants on my camera. They now have their own camera system.
- I also caught some local youths setting off large fireworks, damaging some property. I gave the recordings to the affected neighbors.

These cameras have caught so much in such a short time, that I am amazed and wondering if this is normal, or if this is some sort of minor crime spree.

I was asked to join the neighborhood watch. I politely declined. The last thing I want is to be labelled as some sort of wannabe cop racist vigilante ala George Zimmerman. It's a shame when you can't get involved without being a suspect yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Divemedic

Could you please write a bit more about your security camera set up? thinking of one for my house, not sure what equipment or how to go about it.

Thank you also for your writings.

Jeff