Sunday, June 12, 2016

Nervous

I woke up this morning to the news of the terrorist attack in Orlando. My son is not gay, and to the best of my knowledge, does not frequent that particular bar. However, he and his live in girlfriend do work in that area as nurses on the night shift, with my son specializing in trauma care. I do not know if they were working last night.

I have tried texting both of them, and they have not responded. I am hoping that the lack of communication is due to them either still working, or they are sleeping off a long and difficult night of treating the injured.

Please keep them in your thoughts today, as I wait on word from them...

EDITED:
My son just contacted me. He and his girlfriend are both working, and are slammed with victims of the attack, as well as the normal influx of patients. For those familiar with triage:

Triage center was in the parking lot of the Einstein's Bagels.
There was some confusion, as police were bypassing the triage center and taking patients directly to the trauma center two blocks away, rather than triaging them and following the mass casualty plan. This placed a strain on the trauma center, until EMS personnel could get a handle on the cops.

Ballistic vests were issued to EMS and firefighters on the scene.

20 red tags were sent to Orlando Regional Medical center (level one trauma center)
2 Red tags to Florida Hospital Orlando
Yellow and Green tags are going to Florida Hospital East
Other trauma patients not related to the attack are being diverted to Osceola Regional, one of Central Florida's two level two trauma centers
The entire trauma system of central Florida is being tested with this mass casualty event. There are only three trauma centers in Central Florida. ORMC is the only level one, with Osceola Regional Medical Center in Kissimmee and Central Florida Regional Medical Center in Sanford as the two level 2 trauma centers. All three of them are currently slammed with patients.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I hope you soon get reassuring news.

CelticGirl said...

So glad to hear they are ok!
And now we know what excellent hands the victims are in.
((hugs))

SiGraybeard said...

Glad to hear your kids are OK. I say this yesterday morning and meant to check back during the day.