Thursday, July 29, 2010

My Blog Name

I get a whole lot of hits from folks who Google the term "pharmacist blog" and I want to take a minute and explain where the name of this blog came from.

The term "street pharmacist" is a play on words meaning a drug dealer, sort of like "undocumented immigrant" is a euphemism for illegal immigrants. Those of you who work in EMS know that a substantial portion of EMS runs are generated by people who are seeking free pharmaceuticals, in other words, drug seekers.

A few years ago, my partner and I were sitting around awaiting our next opportunity to save lives and snatch a baby from the mouth of an alligator, and during this lull in the action, my partner was doing his taxes. By the time he got to the end of the absurdly long process, he was pretty annoyed. There is a line at the end of the form which asks for your profession, and it was at this point that I told him that when I was in the military, a buddy of mine had entered "paid professional killer" in that particular part of the form.

Thinking that the above comment was pretty funny (comments like that are always funnier at 2 a.m.) he entered "street pharmacist" as his occupation and we dropped it in the mail. We laughed for the rest of the shift.

and so it became the name of this blog.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I'm a stay at home mom and I always fill in those blanks with "domestic engineer." A triage nurse (kid with broken clavicle) got a real kick out of that.