Friday, June 18, 2010

Oops

I have carried a concealed handgun for over 20 years, and today I had a first. I had to make a quick trip out to the store. I never go anywhere unarmed, but being in a hurry, I reached into the leather drawer and threw the first holster I touched onto my belt as I was getting dressed, and put my Kimber Ultra Carry in it. The holster in question was a Don Hume JIT holster. Now this holster fits a niche for me. I use it in IDPA matches because I can draw from it rather quickly. It turns out that this property makes for poor retention.

As I pulled up to the store, one of our famous Central Florida thunderstorms hit, and it began to rain by the bucketful. In seconds, the water was 2 inches deep in the parking lot. The lightning and thunder were pretty intense, so I ran into the store. Well, actually, I had run halfway to the store, when I heard the clatter of my $1300 pistol hitting the pavement. I quickly retrieved it from the growing pond, and reholstered.

Luckily, there was no one else there to see it because it was raining too hard. When I got home, I disassembled and cleaned the pistol, and there was no damage to the weapon. The grip laser still works, the TFO sights were unbroken, and I will be more careful when selecting holsters from now on.

No comments: