Just this afternoon, the count of troops deployed in Washington, DC was 20,000. Now that number has officially been increased to 21,000, with as many as 26,000 requested.
- On Tuesday January 4th, it was “National Guard will have 300 troops in DC, but they will be unarmed, and there only for traffic control.”
- By Wednesday evening on January 6th, it was “6200 troops, armed only with riot control gear will be in DC until the inauguration.”
- Thursday, that evolved into “a fence around the Capitol, and the deployment will be for at least a month.”
- On Friday, it was “The troops might be armed.”
- Then on Saturday, it became “National Guard Troops Deploying to DC Will Come With Lethal Weapons”
- Monday the 11th, and the troop count was up to 15,000
- Tuesday the 12th saw the addition of a Stryker Brigade, complete with M2 heavy machine guns
- This morning, the addition of concertina wire and concrete barricades.
- By this afternoon, troop strength was increased to 21-26,000.
- This force is larger than an infantry division reinforced with a Stryker brigade. For comparison, there are only 3,000 troops in Iraq, and another 2,500 in Afghanistan.
It is hard to keep track of when things are so fluid.